Kid Kritics Approved Seal Ingredient Standards Set by the Certification Board
The objective is to create a list of foods and beverages that are healthier and thus Better Food Choices for families. Initially all selected foods, beverages, supplements and recipes have to meet the Ingredient Standards set by the independent Ingredient Certification Board. Then this list of chosen products and recipes are taste-tested by kids aged 5-14 years. About seventy percent of the kids have to say a product tastes good for it to be awarded the Kid Kritics Approved seal. Ultimately, this seal may be printed on the packaging and/or show up in marketing and advertising of all approved foods so moms and dads can easily identify and buy these products.
Pure and perfect foods, “best”, are not the objective. This is unrealistic. To have families consuming healthier foods, beverages and supplements will make a healthy difference. That is our mission.
Food and Beverage Standards
- No bad fats (i.e. hydrogenated oils, trans-fats)
- No artificial additives (i.e. MSG, aspartame, dyes)
- No corn syrups
- Little to no caffeine
- No lab-sourced (synthetic lab-made) ingredients
- GMO monitored
- Acceptable amounts of naturally-sourced sugar
- Acceptable amounts of naturally-sourced sodium
- Source is natural – grows out of the ground, walks the earth, swims in water, flies in the air (i.e. sugar from sugar cane)
- Original nutrients not seriously diminished or eliminated in food processing (i.e. whole grains versus flour stripped of nutrients and bleached)