Cheesy Turkey Bacon & Sausage Pie
“Quiche, Quiche, Quiche!” The Kid Kritics chanted this after we served it to them – begging for more. Quiche is really an egg-based pie so we changed the name for more kid appeal. It’s a great meal-in-one dish!
Preheat: 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Equipment: 10 inch pie plate, toaster oven, 2 mixing bowls, whisk
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 6 or more, depending on ages
- 1 pie crust (whole grain or gluten free, no hydrogenated oils) Place on bottom of pie plate. Bake until edges are golden.
– 4 strips uncured turkey bacon (additive free)
– 4 turkey sausage patties (Shelton’s)
Cook in toaster oven until crisp. Dab off extra fat. Crumble or cut into little pieces. Place in mixing bowl.
– 2 large eggs, (free-range if possible)
– 1 cup rice, almond or cow’s milk
– 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp. sea salt
Put into separate mixing bowl. Whisk together.
- 1 cup Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Cabot of Vermont)
- 1/2 cup steamed broccoli florets, chopped finely Add cheese and broccoli to turkey bacon mixture. Stir together.
Pour evenly in pie crust. Pour egg mixture over top.
– 3 dashes paprika
Sprinkle on top and place quiche into oven. Bake until eggs are
firm, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand for a few
minutes before serving.
Options: Using the basic egg mixture, add any combination of healthy meats or veggies alongwith cheese – a great way to use up leftovers! Customize it to your family’s tastes. Don’t be afraid to try new combinations.
6 Natural Colors: tan, brown, green, white, yellow, red
6 Food Groups: poultry, herbs/spices, whole grains, dairy, vegetables, eggs
Performance Rating: 6 Colors, 6 Food Groups
Call it quiche or pie, whatever makes it sound better to your kids. When you buy the pie crust, the rest of the prep takes little time – especially when you use leftovers. A 6/6 Performance Rating makes this a powerful meal in one!